WLU is the only university to offer a comprehensive online degree program designed by various stakeholders in the criminal justice system for the police officers. The program is very well designed. It's an all-encompassing degree for law enforcement officers. - Shazad Khan
A Canadian Leader in Online Policing Degrees
The Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development recognizes crime and justice as areas of institutional strength for Laurier. Our academic and institutional tradition thrives in the online space where a focus on community and developing lives of purpose and citizenship are shared. Access your assignments and participate in discussion groups from anywhere that has an Internet connection.
Online BA in Policing Program Curriculum
The BA in Policing curriculum is designed to provide you with the skills to evaluate and apply different perspectives to better operate in a society that often scrutinizes and challenges police actions.
Below is a sample list of courses you will be required to complete for the online BA in Policing program:
- PD100: Models of Policing (0.5 credit)
- PD202: Leadership and Career Development in Law Enforcement (0.5 credit)
- PD306: Ethics, Corruption, and Police Accountability (0.5 credit)
- PD402: Indigenous Communities and Policing (0.5 credit)
- PD404: Cybercrime (0.5 credit)
Due to the broad range of police work that is available, the program is specifically designed for the types of officers listed below who have at least one year of professional work experience and who are:
- Currently employed by, or retired from, a police service or law enforcement organization and meets the definition of a police officer under s.2 of the Ontario Police Services Act or similar legislation defining police officer at the provincial or federal level of government;
- Police officers who are employed by a First Nations Police Service;
- Special Constables who are employed by a governmental agency; and
- Authorized by, and accountable to, the appropriate jurisdictional legislation (e.g., Police Services Act, RCMP Act) to enforce provincial and federal legislation.
You may be able to reduce the time and cost of the degree by transferring up to 10 of the 20 total credits required.
Speak to an Enrolment Advisor
Careers and Outcomes
The BA in Policing provides the foundation and credentials you need to accomplish your goals and stand out from the competition. Acquire the edge to prepare you for leadership roles, especially in police organizations that place an importance on a commitment to lifelong learning.
Post-secondary education can lead to second careers in consulting. It can also open up opportunities for transferring between police organizations.
Laurier online BA in Policing students and graduates have gone on to positions such as:
- Chief of Police / Commissioner / Chief Constable
- Deputy Chief of Police / Deputy Chief Constable
- Staff Superintendent
- Sergeant Major
- Staff Sergeant
- Police Constable 1st Class / Detective Constable
For more information, download the curriculum guide, or call us at 888.368.0345