As a police officer with a rotating shift and a demanding schedule, traditional classroom learning is not an option. The fully online delivery of the BA in Policing program at Wilfrid Laurier University helps eliminate this issue by making class accessible to you online – 24-hours a day, seven days a week.
- 100% online program designed for police officers
- Transfer credit options are available to save time and money
- Created in collaboration with law enforcement
- Ranked #1 in Student Satisfaction by Maclean's
- Earn your degree in 3 to 4 years
The BA in Policing online program is designed for working and retired police officers with at least one year of professional work experience in policing. Proof of a minimum of one year of full-time employment up to and including the time before classes begin for each police officer must be verified by an official letter from the human resources department of the police service(s) from which the officer has been employed.
Transfer options available, with the opportunity to reduce time and cost of the degree by transferring up to 10 of the 20 total credits required.
Designed in partnership with law enforcement throughout Canada, Laurier’s BA in Policing program delivers an engaging curriculum designed to improve your critical thinking and analytical skills.
Additionally, the online Policing courses provide you with the skills to evaluate and apply different perspectives to better operate in a society that often scrutinizes and challenges police actions. Below is a sample list of courses you will be required to complete for the online BA in Policing program.
- PD100: MODELS OF POLICING (0.5 CREDIT)
- PD202: LEADERSHIP AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT IN LAW ENFORCEMENT (0.5 CREDIT)
- PD306: ETHICS, CORRUPTION, AND POLICE ACCOUNTABILITY (0.5 CREDIT)
- PD402: INDIGENOUS COMMUNITIES AND POLICING (0.5 CREDIT)
- PD404: CYBERCRIME (0.5 CREDIT)
Careers and Outcomes
Your education plays a key role in your career and future. When you plan to work toward a leadership position in the police service or you want to improve your knowledge of law enforcement, an online degree from Wilfrid Laurier University provides the foundation you need to accomplish your goals. Our online program is an innovative solution to build on your passion and develop your skills. We focus on the skills you need as an officer of the law and the information you need to become a leader in your field. Example skillsets and knowledge sought by employers include:
- Information Security Risk Assessment
- Asset Protection
- Intrusion Detection
- Human Intelligence (HUMINT)
Example job titles for those with a BA in Policing include:
- Probation Officer/Community Youth Worker
- Police Chief
- Policy Criminal Intelligence Analyst
- Director Security
With annual salaries ranging from $44,050 – $110,000.