Wilfrid Laurier University’s 100% online Master of Public Safety (MPS) program creates graduates who can lead, assess, improve and shape the future of public safety in Canada and around the world. The first program of its kind in Canada, and the only program to align with the initiatives of Public Safety Canada, the online MPS program is specifically designed for active professionals who want to advance in their current role or redefine their career in public safety.
- First program of its kind in Canada
- The only program aligned with initiatives of Public Safety Canada
- Ranked No. 1 in student satisfaction by Maclean’s
- 100% online and designed to be flexible for working professionals
- Customize your degree to align with your professional goals and choose from four pathways
Careers and Outcomes
The Master of Public Safety (MPS) program is ideal for public safety professionals, as well as active and retired military personnel, who want to transform their career in public safety. The MPS program was created to produce the kind of professionals that the field needs: intelligent critical thinkers who are comfortable with new perspectives and new technologies, and who are willing to take on leadership roles when the situation demands it. A MPS enhances competencies to create upward mobility in an organization by:
- Enhancing your role as a subject matter expert
- Providing an understanding and the ability to interact across the four pillars of public safety
- Building up the hard and soft skills needed to be a practitioner in the field
- Preparing leaders to work with multiple organizations to achieve a common objective
- Understanding the complex economic, social and historical factors that underpin public safety policy
To apply for admission into the online Master of Public Safety program, applicants must meet the following requirements and submit the outlined paperwork:
- Have a B average (73%) in their last 5 full credits/10 half credits of a 4-year undergraduate degree
- Submit all transcripts from all universities or colleges attended
- Prepare a statement of intent
- Submit a resume
- Submit two reference letters
For more information about the admissions process or your eligibility, speak with an Enrolment Advisor at 888.368.0345 or download the program brochure.
If you don’t meet the minimum requirements above, then we encourage you to take a look at one of our Public Safety Graduate Diplomas. The Public Safety Graduate Diplomas have a different set of admissions requirements. In addition, successful completion of one of the graduate diplomas may be used as an entry point into the MPS, and would include transfer credits. This pathway does not increase the number of courses you have to take - it simply demonstrates to the Admissions Committee your ability to successfully manage graduate level work.
Laurier’s online MPS program is designed to facilitate a deeper understanding of the contemporary issues, social aspects and technologies that affect public safety practice. The program is taught by faculty who have worked and are highly respected in the public safety field. Below is a sample list of courses you will be required to complete for the online Master of Public Safety program.
- SAFE601: Issues in Contemporary Public Safety (0.5 credits)
- SAFE603: Intelligence and Analytics in Public Safety (0.5 credits)
- SAFE605: Research Methods and Statistical Analysis in Public Safety (0.5 credits)