Why Choose Laurier’s Online Master of Public Safety?
- First program of its kind in Canada
- The only public safety management training online aligned with the four pillars of public safety in the Canadian context
- Top faculty: Laurier ranked #1 for course instructors by Maclean’s University Rankings, 2020
- 100% online and designed to be flexible for working professionals
- Customize your degree to align with your professional goals and choose from four pathways
- Receive support from a dedicated Student Success Advisor, every step of the way
- 3 intakes per year, limited seats
Annie is a member of the Canadian Armed Forces. Hear from her on how the MPS program fits into her life and supports her career growth:
Master of Public Safety Career Outlook
Today’s need for knowledgeable public safety leaders is consistent as challenges in the field become increasingly complex. The projected growth of job availability in public safety from 2020 to 2025 is 37%, across a wide variety of job titles and organizations. Public Safety Canada employs 52,000 people alone.
Laurier's MPS program is ideal for public safety professionals, as well as active and retired military personnel, who want to transform their career. It was designed to support you in becoming the professional the field needs: a critical thinker who is comfortable with new perspectives and new technologies and who can lead confidently in difficult situations.
The employment rate of recent master’s-level graduates in criminal justice and police science studies is 93%. Our degree enhances your competencies to create upward mobility in your career by:
- Enhancing your role as a subject matter expert
- Providing an understanding of and the ability to interact across Canada's four pillars of public safety
- Building up the hard and soft skills needed to be a practitioner in the field
- Preparing you to work across organizations to achieve a common objective
- Giving you understanding of the complex economic, social, and historical factors that underpin public safety policy
To learn more about the program and how it can support your career growth, schedule an appointment with an enrolment advisor.
I have found the MPS program a suitable program for my needs due to the synergistic learning approach and the ability it provides to self schedule my time. I found the application process quite easy to follow, and my application was processed quickly.
- Dean Young, Master of Public Safety Program
Laurier’s online MPS program is designed to facilitate a deeper understanding of contemporary issues, social aspects, and technologies that affect public safety practice. The program is taught by faculty who have worked in and are highly respected in the public safety field.
This is a sample of courses you will be required to complete in the program:
- SAFE601: Issues in Contemporary Public Safety (0.5 credit)
- SAFE603: Intelligence and Analytics in Public Safety (0.5 credit)
- SAFE605: Research Methods and Statistical Analysis in Public Safety (0.5 credit)
Download your program guide for additional course information
To apply for admission to the online MPS degree, applicants must meet the following requirements and submit the outlined paperwork:
- Have a B average (73%) in their last 5 full credits/10 half credits of a 4-year undergraduate degree
- Submit all transcripts from all universities or colleges attended
- Prepare a statement of intent
- Submit a resume
- Submit two reference letters
The MPS degree is currently not eligible for Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP), but all students can be considered for Laurier’s scholarships, awards and bursaries, which could provide financial support towards the cost of this degree.
For more information about the admissions process, paying for your degree, or your eligibility, schedule an appointment to speak with an enrolment advisor.
If you don’t meet the minimum requirements above, then we encourage you to take a look at one of our Public Safety Graduate Diplomas. The diplomas have a different set of admissions requirements. Successful completion of one of the diplomas may be used as an entry point into the MPS and would include transfer credits. This pathway does not increase the number of courses you have to take; it simply demonstrates to the admissions committee your ability to successfully manage graduate-level work.
Learn more about each of the diplomas here:
If you have any questions about the MPS degree or any of the graduate diplomas, our enrolment advisors are here to help on your schedule.
Schedule an appointment to speak with an enrolment advisor
Learn more about our enrolment advisors and how they can support you:
Hear From Our Students
Laurier Online students come from all around the country, with different backgrounds, but they share the same goal: getting a high-quality education with an established curriculum, taught by faculty who have worked in the field. Learn more from some of the students who have invested in their future.
"My current role relates to risk management in the fire services, and I discovered that all my courses completed to date, are integrated in my professional role. I have utilized parts of all of the courses in my day to day role, including statistics and research. The broader view this program has provided has allowed me to appreciate the roles and responsibilities of a senior officer."
- Karen Bourne
"WLU online program advisors are amazing! Even though I was a ‘virtual’ student I felt connected to WLU through their calls and emails. During the program, they would check-in to see how each course was going and asked if there were any additional support required."
- Nathaniel Smith
View more testimonials from our students