Master of Public Safety Careers and Outcomes
Today’s need for knowledgeable leaders is consistent as public safety challenges become increasingly complex.
The Master of Public Safety (MPS) program is ideal for public safety professionals, as well as active and retired military personnel who want to transform their career in public safety. The MPS program was created to produce the kind of professionals that the field needs: intelligent critical thinkers who are comfortable with new perspectives and new technologies, and who are willing to take on leadership roles when the situation demands it.
Aligned with the four pillars of Public Safety Canada, students graduate prepared to tackle modern challenges with improved knowledge that is applicable to the real-world.
An MPS enhances competencies to create upward mobility in an organization by:
- Enhancing your role as a subject matter expert
- Providing an understanding of and the ability to interact across the four pillars of public safety
- Building up the hard and soft skills needed to be a practitioner in the field
- Preparing leaders to work with multiple organizations to achieve a common objective
- Understanding the complex economic, social and historical factors that underpin public safety policy
To learn more about the program, get your curriculum guide.
To apply for admission to the online Master of Public Safety program, applicants must meet the following requirements and submit the outlined paperwork:
For more information about the admissions process or your eligibility, speak with an enrolment advisor at 888.368.0345.
If you don’t meet the minimum requirements above, then we encourage you to take a look at one of our Public Safety Graduate Diplomas. The Public Safety Graduate Diplomas have a different set of admissions requirements. In addition, successful completion of one of the graduate diplomas may be used as an entry point into the MPS and would include transfer credits. This pathway does not increase the number of courses you have to take. it simply demonstrates to the admissions committee your ability to successfully manage graduate-level work.
Speak to an Enrolment Advisor
Laurier’s online MPS program is designed to facilitate a deeper understanding of contemporary issues, social aspects, and technologies that affect public safety practice. The program is taught by faculty who have worked in and are highly respected in the public safety field.
Below is a sample list of courses you will be required to complete for the online Master of Public Safety program.
Download your program guide
- SAFE601: Issues in Contemporary Public Safety (0.5 credit)
- SAFE603: Intelligence and Analytics in Public Safety (0.5 credit)
- SAFE605: Research Methods and Statistical Analysis in Public Safety (0.5 credit)