Are you passionate about public safety? Do you have a desire to go into your chosen field prepared with focused techniques and real-world experience? Consider a dual major in criminology and policing with Wilfrid Laurier University’s fully online Combined Honours BA in Criminology and Policing.
- 100% online program means the coursework is accessible and convenient.
- No prior law enforcement experience needed; great degree for either beginning or furthering a career in law enforcement or public safety.
- Get a broader view of public safety by the combined focus on criminology and policing.
- With three starts per year and applications accepted year-round, you don’t have to wait to begin advancing your education.
Careers and Outcomes
According to Statistics Canada, one out of four workers in the labour force will be 55 or older by 2021. This is a significant opportunity for young workers, experienced professionals and older adult learners to take advantage of increased labour force fluctuations and mobility. The online combined BA in Criminology and Policing gives you a broader educational base to succeed in jobs related to crime and justice and in, while allowing you to focus on specific areas of interest through curriculum electives. Example skillsets and knowledge sought by employers include:
- Risk Assessment
- Cyber Security
- Corporate Governance
Example job titles for those with a BA in Criminology and Policing include:
- Criminal Justice Faculty
- Director Review Board Representative
- Probation Officer
- Liquor Control Inspector
- SPO Youth Probation Officer
With annual salaries ranging from $52,650 - $85,100.
Although no prior experience in law enforcement is needed, the combined honours criminology/policing degree program requires an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (or equivalent) with a mid-70s average, including university-level English at 60%.
In addition, transfer credits may be granted depending on previous educational attainment. After you apply, an admissions coordinator will assess your transcripts to determine how many transfer credits you may receive.
Laurier has produced career-ready professionals for more than 100 years. As a result, you’ll enter a program with an established curriculum taught by faculty who have worked in the field including positions as: research officers, legal analysts, investigators, corrections workers and more. Below is a sample list of courses you will be required to complete for the online BA in Criminology and Policing program.
- CC100: INTRODUCTION TO CRIMINOLOGY (0.5 CREDIT)
- PD200: POLICE PSYCHOLOGY (0.5 CREDIT)
- CC/HS/PD312: MENTAL HEALTH AND JUSTICE (0.5 CREDIT)
- CC426/PD426: QUALITATIVE METHODOLOGIES IN CRIMINOLOGY (0.5 CREDIT)
- CC210: PSYCHOLOGY OF CRIME (0.5 CREDIT)